Skate the Star at Mall of America
Mall of America invites you to Skate the Star! Bring your friends, family + coworkers to skate at the MOA® north entrance around the iconic star sculpture.
*All skaters must complete waivers before skating. Minors under the age of 18 must have waiver signed by a parent or guardian. Waivers are available on-site.
A drivers license, state ID card or $20 deposit is required for skate rental. *Student ID's will not be accepted.
Please be aware of the Parental Escort Policy. These policies apply to the Ice Rink.
Admission + Skate Rental
Skating on the rink is free if you bring your own skates. Skate rental will be available for $5 per person, per pair. Limited quantities + sizes are available which may result in longer wait times during peak hours. Skate rental will stop 30 minutes before close. All skate rental proceeds benefit the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities.
We are proud to partner with The Boys & Girls Clubs of the Twin Cities as they follow through on their mission to enable all young people, especially those who need us most, to reach their full potential as productive, caring, responsible citizens.
Ice Rink Skating Rules:
- Skates are required to be worn on the rink. No street shoes.
- Obey all posted signs and rink staff.
- Maintain reasonable control of your direction and speed at all times.
- No food, drinks, gum, candy or tobacco products allowed on the ice.
- Skaters are not permitted to carry other skaters or small children on the ice.
- No sliding, tag, aggressive behavior or speed skating is allowed.
- No chairs or strollers allowed on the ice.
- No hockey sticks, pucks, or balls are allowed on the ice.
- Anyone who appears to be under the influence of alcohol or illegal substances will be removed from the rink.
- Do not wear skates on concrete floors. Skates must only be worn on the rink and rubber matted areas.
- Refrain from throwing or leaving objects on the rink surface.
- No abusive acts or language is permitted.
- Children under the age of 12 require adult supervision.
- Assumption of Risk: By engaging in skating, skaters and spectators are deemed to have knowledge of, and assume the inherent risks of skating, which include, but are not limited to the following:
- Injuries that result from collisions with other skaters or skate guards.
- Injuries that result from falls.
- Injuries that involve objects or artificial structures that are properly within the intended path of travel of the skater.
- Failure to follow rules may result in removal from rink. Skate rental refunds will not be given to people who have been asked to leave rink.
Skate the Star is a refrigerated rink. No matter the weather, our ice will be perfect for skating all season long. The rink will remain open unless the air temperature or wind-chill reaches -25 degrees Fahrenheit or colder. The rink is also subject to close if any severe weather conditions exist.
Please check back for updated operating hours.
- It takes 18,000 gallons to fill the ice rink.
- The ice rink is a total of 12,000 square feet.
- The ice is approximately 1.5” thick.
- The ice rink is not flooded but made in little layers approximately 1/32” thick.
- The ice is kept at about 8 degrees F.
- To get the perfect ice surface, we use a blend of 2/3 hydrogen and 1/3 oxygen.